An Authorization Only (Auth Only) transaction allows you to reserve an amount on a card, that you can settle at a later date.
For example, hotels may perform an Auth Only approval for a greater amount than the cost of a room. This amount is reserved on the card, but not charged. This means that the customer can add additional service costs to their bill that they can settle when they check out. On the VX520 you settle an Auth Only transaction by running a Ticket Only transaction.
- From the SoftPay home screen, press the leftmost purple key once to access the second menu screen. (The SoftPay home screen displays the Sale, Refund, and Void options.)
- Press F3 (Auth Only).
- Use the keypad to type the amount to authorise, then press Enter.
- Press F1 (Yes) to confirm the the authorization amount.
- Swipe, dip, or tap the payment card on the terminal, or use the keypad to type the card number, then press Enter.
Note: If the customer swipes their card, the terminal does not ask for an expiration date.
- Select the card type for the authorization:
- F1 (credit)
- Use the keypad to type the expiration date.
- Press Enter.
- If you manually enter the information, the terminal may ask if the card is present. If the card is not present, press F2 (No) and follow the prompts on the terminal.
- F3 (EBT) – EBT is available only if you have the function enabled on your account
- F1 (credit)
- To print a copy of the receipt for the customer, press F1 (Yes).