No, offering a discount to customers who choose to pay with cash is a completely different situation than surcharging when it comes to the card brands’ regulations. While surcharging is allowed under certain parameters laid out by the card associations, business owners are able to price their products and offer discounts on those products at will. Cash discounting is the business owner exercising that freedom. Surcharging is adding a charge only for customers who use a credit card, and is not currently allowed in ten states.
Articles in this section
- Can Any Business Do This?
- Can I offer the Cash Discount Program in My State?
- Can I revert back to traditional processing?
- Can your Company Offer the Cash Discount Program?
- Cash Discount a marketing tool?
- Cash Discount Tips
- Cash Discount vs Surcharge Programs
- Do I still get a bill?
- Is it legal to offer a Cash Discount?
- Is the Cash Discount Program the same thing as a Surcharge?